While there are several Wonder Woman books solicited in August, we’ve looked at most of them already. Flashpoint: Wonder Woman and the Furies #3 and DC Retroactive: Wonder Woman – The 80s and The 90s have been posted, but the Retroactive books still don’t have real covers… I’ll post those once they are released. But there is one new Wonder Woman book!! It’s the real, totally not a fake-out, they 100% promise it’s the last one finale to the “Odyssey” storyline, Wonder Woman #614:
Written by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI and PHIL HESTER; Art by DON KRAMER and WAYNE FAUCHER; Cover by JOSHUA MIDDLETON 1:10 Variant cover by ALEX GARNER
The all-new Wonder Woman reaches the end of her epic “Odyssey” and comes face-to-face with the malevolent force behind it all! But the only way to defeat her nemesis may be to become her – giving her own powers over to an all-consuming hatred for life on Earth! Is Diana strong enough to control a force that seeks vengeance on all mankind, or will the warrior within her condemn her to a life of eternal bloodshed?
First off, that Joshua Middleton cover is fantastic… he’s supposed to do the Wonder Woman #613 main cover too (I suspect this picture might actually be the #613 cover… it’s been months since an issue of Wonder Woman has hit the stands with the originally solicited cover), and I hope he sticks around for whatever comes next for the series. Preferably on interior art… that would be crazy fun!! But at least on covers. This cover is the first time I’ve actually really liked the new outfit.
Storywise, an “all-consuming hatred for life on Earth” sounds ominous, but we know how these things end. I expect Wonder Woman will be back to her normal self in September, and I am curious to see who’s going to be writing and drawing the book. Bleeding Cool points out that pretty much every major DC book comes to a conclusion of some sort in August, which coincides with the end of Flashpoint (we know that “Odyssey” was supposed to end in June but DC extended it two more issues, perhaps to match this timing?). They also say that every DC book is going to relaunch with a new #1 in September, so we’ll see what that brings for Wonder Woman in the weeks ahead. Hopefully anyway… DC likes to tease things, but this sounds like a situation where they might go radio silent instead.
Other notable solicits news:
- There are A LOT of Flashpoint books. June, July, and August are going to be exhausting for doing the Women in Comics stats!!
- There’re a lot of Retroactive books too!! I am going to be worn out!!
- I sincerely hope that the “identity crossroads” in the Batman #713 solicit means that Dick Grayson isn’t going to be Batman anymore.
- Kelly Sue DeConnick’s Supergirl sounds like it’s going to be a lot of fun.
- Darwyn Cooke’s cover for Justice Society of America #54 is awesome.
- I want to buy the 100 Bullets hardcovers even though I already have the trades… that series deserves to be bought in every format possible
- Of course this hypothetical renumbering won’t last… I mean, books like Detective Comics and Action Comics are institutions, plus they just redid the Wonder Woman numbering. If this renumbering thing happens, I expect some of it to be quickly undone.