This month’s DC Comics solicits report is aka. the Marguerite Bennett show. She’s got a big month lined up, along with a slew of other female creators and a few new books starring female characters as well. October should be a busy, exciting month for DC Comics, so let’s take a look at what’s coming up:
- For New 52 writers, Ann Nocenti is on Klarion #1, Genevieve Valentine pens Catwoman #1, Becky Cloonan co-writes Gotham Academy #1, Amanda Conner co-writes Harley Quinn #11 and Harley Quinn Annual #1, and Marguerite Bennett co-writes Earth 2 #7 and Earth 2: World’s End #1-4 (it’s weekly).
- For New 52 art, Meghan Hetrick is drawing Batman: Eternal #28, Babs Tarr is drawing Batgirl #35, Jan Duursema is doing a variant cover for Grayson #3, Becky Cloonan is doing covers for Gotham Academy #1 and Detective Comics #35, and Amanda Conner is doing covers for Harley Quinn #11 and Harley Quinn Annual #1.
- Outside of the New 52, Marguerite Bennett co-writes Injustice: Gods Among Us Year Two Annual #1, Cat Staggs is doing the cover for Smallville Season 11: Chaos #3, Marguerite Sauvage is illustrating a story in Sensation Comics featuring Wonder Woman #3, and Georgia Ball is writing Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? #50.
- For Vertigo, Meghan Hetrick and Tula Lotay have art in Bodies #4 while Jenny Frison is doing the cover, Caitlin Kittredge writes Coffin Hill #12, Celia Calle is doing the cover for The Names #2, Marguerite Sauvage is doing the cover for Hinterkind #12, Yuko Shimizu is the cover artist for The Unwritten: Apocalypse #10, and the Vertigo Quarterly: Yellow #1 features writing from Marguerite Bennett and art from Toril Orlesky.
- In terms of new books, Power Girl and Huntress look to have a big role in the new Earth 2: World’s End weekly series, Arkham Manor has a woman, perhaps Poison Ivy, front and centre on the cover, Gotham Academy has a female lead, and the new Trinity of Sin co-stars Pandora.
- There are also some cool creative shake-ups, with new takes on Batgirl and Catwoman premiering in October.
So yeah, it’s quite a month for women at DC! All together, 17 different women are working on 21 different titles in October, an impressive jump from September’s 13 and 12 as well as the highest combined total we’ve seen since this project launched nearly three years ago. These are great numbers, but as always please remember that the number of male creators in DC’s solicits is still in triple digits. Things are getting better, but female creators remain a very small minority.
What’s especially nice about this month’s solicits are all the new names. It’s always great to see old favourites, but new female creators are what is really going to change the industry. While it’s a bummer that there’s no Gail Simone this month, for perhaps the first time since this project began (she’ll be back soon with a new project, though!), growing the ranks of female creators at DC is a very positive thing. DC finally seems to be thinking outside of their dusty old rolodex and actively seeking new talent, and that is an exciting shift.
Also exciting are the new and revamped female characters debuting in October. Gotham Academy looks like an absolute blast, and the new Batgirl has already inspired a mountain of fan art. I’m excited for the new Catwoman as well; the book got off to a bad start with the New 52 and hasn’t yet found its footing in the new universe, and hopefully this will sort it out.
Overall, October looks pretty awesome for DC. The new books are garnering lots of excitement, and this explosion of new female talent is an extremely welcome change of pace for DC. Here’s hoping we get more of the same next month!