Way back in July, DC promised to include more female characters and female creators in their books, and so each month we check out the solicits and see how they’re doing. The books scheduled for November and December didn’t offer much new in the way of ladies, and now January seems to be more of the same. Let’s take a look:
- The DCnU creators we’re used to seeing are still there. Jenny Frison is doing the cover for I, Vampire #5 while Gail Simone is on Batgirl and Firestorm. There are rumours she’s leaving Firestorm, but it looks like she’ll still be on the book come January at least.
- There is one more woman in the DCnU!! Amanda Conner is doing the cover for My Greatest Adventure #4
- There are no new books in the DCnU, so there are no new female characters.
- In terms of DC’s licensed properties, Gears of War is bi-monthly and January is an off month, so Karen Traviss isn’t around.
- Over at Vertigo, Yuko Shimizu is on covers for The Unwritten #33 and The Unwritten #33.5.
It seems that we’re no further ahead. In December, there were 4 ladies on 6 books, and now in January we’ve got 4 ladies on 6 books. Plus, no new female characters either. You think they might have done SOMETHING by now. It’s been two and a half months… how hard is it to get an extra lady or two somewhere? DC appears spectacularly disinterested in following through on their promise. At New York ComicCon last weekend, they announced that Ann Nocenti is taking over the writing duties on Green Arrow, which is great, but that won’t be until March. The James Robinson/Nicola Scott Justice Society book is apparently coming at some point in the future, but we’ve got no date on that. And there’s been no word on new books for female characters. So far, DC has really dropped the ball… nothing’s changed at all yet.
There are a few women in collections and original graphic novels this month, though, so let’s end on a nice note and run through them:
- Hawk and Dove: Ghosts and Demons collects Barbara and Karl Kesel’s 1988 mini-series.
- Gone to Amerikay, a new hardcover from Vertigo, is drawn by Colleen Doran and has been solicited for March.
- Huh. I thought there were more than that. Man, DC has a serious lack of ladies!!