Well, this is pretty terrible. Marvel’s done a swell job adding books with female leads over the past few months, though there are no new books of any kind in August, but their female creator numbers have been rough and are only getting worse. Before we go through the solicits, keep in mind that DC has 22 female creator credits in their August solicits. Here we go:
- For writers, Kelly Sue DeConnick is on Captain Marvel #6 and G. Willow Wilson is on Ms. Marvel #7.
- For artists, Jordie Bellaire is coloring Moon Knight #6, Stephanie Hans has a variant cover for New Avengers #22, and Emma Rios is doing a variant cover for Uncanny Avengers #23.
- And that’s it. That’s every female creator in Marvel’s August solicits.
- Also, there’s someone named Jeun-Siik Ahn doing a variant for Original Sin #8, and I can’t find them anywhere on the internet, so in terms of categorization they are currently unknown.
- There are no new comics, but Marvel is putting out Marvel 75th Anniversary Magazine #1 which features 16 characters on the cover, 14 men and 2 women. The women are Captain Marvel and Black Widow.
The female creator numbers are paltry. Last month there were 8 different women on 9 different books, and now we’re at 5 different women on 5 different books. And again, DC had 22 female creator gigs overall, in case you’ve forgotten in the time it took me to relay those five names to you. I don’t know what’s going on with Marvel, but these numbers are embarrassing. In this day and age, with so many fantastic female creators out there, it should be impossible not to hit double digits every month. There are far so many great women writers and artists doing fantastic work right now that to not hire scores of them is just ridiculous.
Of course, the women Marvel does hire are super good. These are five wonderful creators. But only five is ludicrous. Plus, not a single interior penciller or inker. And really, Jordie Bellaire’s presence in the solicits is an oddity, since there are no other colorists listed on any of the other books; Bellaire is one of the best colorists on the planet, but colorists usually aren’t part of the solicits. On an apples to apples count of cover artists, writers, pencillers, and inkers, there are only 4 women listed in Marvel’s August solicits.
We had slightly worse numbers from Marvel with last fall’s solicits, and now they’re slipping again. It’s bizarre that Marvel is doing relatively well with female characters, both in numbers and how they’re presented, but are doing so poorly with female creators, while we’ve got the reverse over at DC. I really don’t understand why strong representation for both female creators and characters seems so impossible to sustain. Marvel really needs to step up their game, because August’s totals are shameful.