As the second and final month of “Convergence” wraps up, DC Comics’ female representation ticks down somewhat from the numbers in the April solicits to their second lowest total of the year thus far. Nonetheless, it’s still far better than where they were at any point in 2014, or several years previous. Let’s take a look at who’s doing what at DC Comics in May 2015:
- Alisa Kwitney: Convergence: Batgirl #2 (writer)
- Amanda Conner: Convergence #6 (variant cover), Convergence #7 (variant cover), Convergence: Action Comics #2 (cover)
- Babs Tarr: Convergence: Superboy #2 (cover)
- Becky Cloonan: Convergence: Aquaman #2 (cover), The Kitchen #7 (cover)
- Caitlin Kittredge: Coffin Hill #18 (writer)
- Celia Calle: The Names #9 (cover)
- Chrissie Zullo: Fables: The Wolf Amoung Us #5 (cover)
- Christy Marx: Convergence: Green Arrow #2 (writer)
- Claire Wendling: Convergence: Catwoman #2 (cover)
- Emanuela Lupacchino: Convergence: Titans #2 (cover)
- Gail Simone: Convergence: Nightwing/Oracle #2 (writer)
- Jan Duursema: Convergence: Nightwing/Oracle #2 (penciller)
- Jill Thompson: Convergence #8 (variant cover), Convergence: Nightwing/Oracle #2 (cover)
- June Brigman: Convergence: Superman – The Man of Steel #2 (penciller)
- Kai Wu: The Flash Season Zero #8 (co-writer)
- Keto Shimizu: Arrow Season 2.5 #8 (writer)
- Lauren Ceto: The Flash Season Zero #8 (co-writer)
- Louise Simonson: Convergence: Superman – The Man of Steel #2 (writer)
- Marguerite Sauvage: Hinterkind #18 (cover)
- Marley Zarcone: Effigy #5 (interior art)
- Ming Doyle: The Kitchen #7 (interior art)
- Nicola Scott: Convergence: New Teen Titans #2 (art and cover)
- Pia Guerra: Convergence: Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #2 (cover)
- Sandra Hope: Convergence #5 (inker)
- Sara Ryan: Sensation Comics featuring Wonder Woman #10 (writer)
- Yishan Li: Convergence: Blue Beetle #2 (interior art)
All together, there are 26 different female creators scheduled to work on 25 different books, a drop from April’s 32 female creators but the same number of series. A big part of this drop was that the Vertigo quarterly special pumped up the April numbers, so without it the May numbers fell off a bit. Vertigo’s also got Strange Sports Stories #3 coming out, and while the second issue had two female creators listed last month, this month the only credits are “Various.” So things are about the same for the regular books.
Of course, all of these regular books will be gone next month, when “Convergence” ends and DC returns to its regular titles. June should be very interesting, seeing as DC is debuting 24 new series with some new creators in the mix. While several of the women who worked on “Convergence” probably won’t be back at DC in June, it looks like there are a lot of ladies set to take their place. I’m curious to see if DC can top their record total yet again; that would certainly be a good way to kick off a bold new direction for the publisher.
There’s not much new for female characters in May, seeing as it’s just more “Convergence”. The crossovers are starting to expand, though, so female characters from random universes will probably be showing up haphazardly across the line. I counted 5 or 6 different Wonder Womans in various titles, and she’s only headlining one book.
Overall, May isn’t a record breaking month for DC, but it’s a solid showing. I remain pleased to see so many women involved in an event like this; past events at DC, like their regular September stunts, usually result in a big drop for female creators, so it’s great that there are so many in the mix for “Convergence”. June’s going to be a whole new ball game, and I’m cautiously optimistic that DC will be up in the 30s again to launch their new direction.